Friday, January 03, 2014

Outgoing: Water for Artists Without Borders

The International Union of Mail Artists occasionally has calls for mail art. I've answered a few; they're great for trying out new ideas. This one is from Artists Without Borders and is for an exhibition in Istanbul. I'm a big fan of gargoyles and chimera and when I was going through my stash, got this idea of some mythical gargoyle "birthing" water in Canada. (And there is a  lot of it. We have 20% of the world's fresh water.) The topographic map I had - from Quebec - happened to be littered with small lakes so I used that for the background and cut Hudson's Bay out of an atlas for the address label.


If nothing else, it's fun to send something to Istanbul! I don't get that opportunity often. The exhibition opens in May 2014.

No comments: