Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My First Published Work

Although I am trying to reform, I am a bit of a pack rat. But, in my defense, I think I come by that honestly. My father is an archivist and my mother, well, she keeps the best things. I was just home for a few days and I promised my soon-to-graduate daughter, A, that I would find my high school grad photos. Well, lo and behold, I also found two of my first attempts at writing, which were published in the Doncaster Gazette (or something like that; I can't find the original student publication although I'm sure it's stored away somewhere). So here, for your reading pleasure (or not), is my first story, The Story of a Elephant and a Canary.



As you can probably tell, we must have been studying Aesop's Fables in my grade one class (with my beloved Miss Little and her beautiful mini beehive). I think this must have been a riff on Androcles and the Lion (or maybe it was The Lion and the Mouse?)You can see how I sort of forget half way through and change the elephant to a lion? Where was the editor? Anyhow, this cracks me up every time I read it.

Here is Miss Little and her circa mid-1960s not-quite-as-much-as-a-beehive-as-I-thought:


And here is moi in the same era:

3 comments:

Shelley Banks said...

Great spelling, too, for Grade 1! Love the story.

surfergrrrrrl said...

What a wonderful blog post and memory. I still have a copy of the magazine I wrote and illustrated and sold door to door in my neighbourhood for a quarter. There are some things you can't and shouldn't let go of.

surfergrrrrrl said...

What a wonderful blog post and memory. I still have the magazine I wrote and illustrated and sold door to door in my neighbourhood for a quarter. Some things you can't and shouldn't let go of.