Friday, January 04, 2008

Decorating for the Book Nerd

Cicero was purported to have said, "A room without books is like a body without a soul." I don't know about you, but I feel slightly unnerved when I go into a home with nary a book in sight. I mean, what do they do with their time -- when they're eating breakfast?, or taking a bath?, or lying on the couch?, or lying in bed? No doubt, their house is cleaner and their bank book up-to-date, but I think I'm having more fun.

My guilty pleasure is flipping through home decorating mags. (There, it's out, but it's just because I'm always on the prowl for ways to turn crap into something respectable.) So, it's not suprising that this baby, Decorating with Books, caught my eye at the library. Lots of eye candy for the book lover.

I figure read those design mags. in my own special way though, and can justify it as research, not a frivilous time-waster, since whenever I see bookshelves in one of those stark, overly-styled, and impossibly pristine layouts, I always turn the mag sideways to see just what's on those shelves. Based on their selection, I make wildly opionated decisions on the lives of their owners and wonder whether any of those books ever get read...

No comments: