Friday, January 25, 2008

Clickety clack

Last year my eldest daughter became quite fascinated by typewriters. (Sigh...this reminds me of a friend telling me her daughter went out for Halloween as an aerobics instructor, leg warmers, headband, and all. Weren't we bouncing around to the Bay City Rollers just a few years ago?) Anyhow, we've kept our eyes open for a cheapee and, lucky us, found a little portable for $2 at an event we fondly call the Catholic Church Ladies' Bizarre Bazaar last December.

Then last evening I'm drooling as I troll through Barbara Hodgson's Trading in Memories: Travels Through a Scavenger's Favorite Places (man, I'd like to have a look in her house) when I came across the section of her trying to find a portable Arabic typewriter. (She had set herself a goal of learning to read Arabic and thought a typewriter might help. Kind of puts the "lose 10 pounds" goal to shame doesn't it?) Who knew? Of course I confess to never thinking about typewriters in other scripts, but, of course, it makes perfect sense. Tres, tres, cool.

If you're in Toronto and you're looking for something to do, check out the exhibit on Early Typewriters they're showing. It's been held-over until June 29th.

And, while we're on the subject of these beautiful machines, here's a bracelet I covet, from Keys and Memories.

No comments: