Saturday, September 08, 2007

Junie B. Jones, Move Over!


Worlds away from The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs is the delightful Clementine. I loved this character -- a quirky, mischeivous young gal who just wants to be helpful and loved. We spend a week -- a bad week -- with Clementine, which she begins by cutting off her friend Margaret's hair. What I loved most about this book is the distinct voice that the author, Sara Pennypacker, created for Clementine. Here's the first page:

I have had not so good of a week.
Well, Monday was a pretty good day, if you don't count Hamburger Surprise at lunch and Margaret's mother coming to get her. Or the stuff that happened in the principal's office when I got sent there to explain that Margaret's hair was not my fault and besides she looks okay without it, but I couldn't because Principal Rice was gone, trying to calm down Margaret's mother.
Someone should tell you not to answer the phone in the principal's office if that's a rule.
Okay, fine, Monday was not so good of a day.


Apparently a sequel was out this year. Shall have to track it down. This book gets my vote everyday over the irritating Junie B. Jones. Bring it on, Clementine!

No comments: